Saturday 21 May 2011

Journey To The East ( Part I - The Arrival )


On 12 May 2011, the 7 of us departed from Penang International Airport to LCCT, KL to meet with 6 others boarding the same plane to KK, Sabah.

The trip was planned a year earlier and now it had ended with wonderful memories to be kept eternally in this blog ^^
Day 1 - First Time Stepping on Land Below The Wind
We arrived at Terminal 2 at KK airport and then my friend fetched me at the airport and bought me out to Karamunsing Complex to eat Korean Mee. Then we headed to a hair saloon for her to dye her hair brown for 3hours.

Then we headed along Tun Fuad Stephen Road and she told me about the area, and even taught me the routes to everywhere. How nice is she. Then we went to have coconut pudding and ate some lokan. She even showed me her rental house and fetched her roommates and we headed to eat some fried "sui gao" = prawn wantan like thingy with some of her coursemates as well.


Before we head back, we stopped at Yoyo Cafe at LintasBranch and I ordered Peppermint Milky Drink. It was special as only KK had its franchise. It taste real different and only cost RM 3.80 per cup. Then she sent me back to meet my friends and we headed to X-plorer Backpacker Lodge and we call it a day.


Comments on X-plorer Backpacker Lodge
This lodge is bad in its management as its budget rate had been increasing from time to time and the check-in took such a long period. This lodge is not suitable for elderly people as a room of 6 people requires climbing up steep staircases in order to reach beds upstairs. This is really the "explorer" style of staying.

However, it has smoking zone (i don't quite like it) and living room with tv and wifi services provided makes our gathering of 15 people an easy one. We watched shows and playing cards together.


Day 2 - Visit to Manukan and Sapi Islands
Manukan Island Pit Stop
After having our breakfast which was merely potato bread bought the day before, and my friends managed to make some tuna sandwiches for lunch on the island as it will be expensive having lunch there. We reached Jesselton Point where Uncle Chong arranged us for the right packages as there were many agencies there welcoming us. About the beach ball we bought, I disagreed but since everyone wanted it so much, I couldn't object. At the end, it was proven to be a waste.

That morning, the weather is cold and windy as it had just rained earlier. Fortunately it stopped raining when we departed from our lodge. We headed on the speed boat to Manukan Island for about 25minutes journey. The sky was blue and the splashing of sea water, the bumping of the boat against the current was a new experience to me.

As we reached the fine white sand beaches, all of us are eager to get down to the clear water and start snorkeling. However, I did not, i just dipped my legs into it. The sea water at Manukan Island is not up to my expectation as it was not as the water is not so clear at the shore. I waited till i get to Sapi Island. I just standby there in case any emergency happens as most of my friends could not swim.

Finally after 2hours of joy playing with the water, some even tasted the salty water much that they don't need to add soy sauce in the meals later on. haha :) We ate our sandwiches and ready for a photography session. We truly enjoyed the time spent together.


Sapi Island Pit Stop
We had about 10 minutes of rocking boat ride to reach this particularly beautiful beach, as the person who conducted this boat ride was too "excited" as he shoved the boat in sharp turnings as we screamed "wah/wao". It was a wet wet journey as the sea water splashed up as the boat bumped with it.

Upon reaching the finer sand beach, we were rushing to meet the water and could not wait to feel the crystal clear water. We took our life jackets and snorkeling equipments and ran headed to the water. Michelle and I swam towards the deeper sea as we both know how to swim. All of us managed to see corals and of course NEMO hiding themselves between corals.

At about 2.30pm, we headed back to Jesselton Point as it would start to rain on the island. We walked back to our nearby lodge. Although we were new at KK, our expert friends can recognised the routes and brought all of us back ^^


Night Market nearby WaterFront
At night we walked on foot to the night market just few roads behind our lodge and we got to watch the opening ceremony of Pesta Keamatan. There are many stalls selling souvenirs and food/ drinks. We stopped by a stall selling rings and necklace. I bought 1 each but the ring however not of a good quality; it lost its silver colour few days later. The boss cheated us promosing the colour of it would not fade.
Chicken Rice Restaurant behind X-plorer
We ate Hainan Chicken Rice which has some taste of Penang and it was OK. They served with the same chilli sauce that Penang restaurant do have it too.

Medan Selera by the shore of Tanjung Aru Beach
We tasted the Grilled Fish and Squids at one of the stalls there but the dishes there are not up to my standard. I gave it a Grade C. I was expecting more as Sabah is a state popular with seafood. Well, at least now I know Penang food is still the best afterall.

Visit to The Perdana Park

Our tourguide was too nice as she dropped us here and picked us up after we were done. We managed to watch musical fountain show for free as there are only 3 in Malaysia (The Mines, KL; Miri; and Perdana Park, KK). The show lasted for 15minutes and it is available from 7pm-8.30pm with shows interval every 30minutes. It was awesome to watched it there and met some friends at the same place. Oh ya, the toilet there were charged RM 0.50 which is kinda expensive.

The BB Cafe (Bar and Grill Cafe)

As the night is still young, we went to have a drink. I ordered Tequila Sunrise and shared it with Sok Kuan. It was layered orangy in colour symbolises the sunrise. We almost cannot finish that glass, but at last i just swallowed it down. Others were just like drinking water. All of them were great drinker I had to admit. I am not good and I am alcohol-intolerate person. The next day I got allergy on my skin, reddish itchy skin were discovered and it tooks a week to fully heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment